Motohorseman
Glad you're here
Motohorseman
Glad you're here
Motohorseman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycles and Motorcyclist of the Central United States of America

Prep new shop for rebuild

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hap Call

Prep new shop for rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am

I looking to overhaul one of my GS1100E's this summer but since I moved I no longer have access to my old shop so I have to set up my third garage bay as my new one. I still have all my tools and micrometers but I need to build a new bench. My brother-in-law has a saw mill and he is cutting some 2"X6" s for me. I'm going to laminate them and build a bench much like a butcher block but only 6" thick, not 2 feet thick. I'll take pictures through the process. When I'm finished, it'll be 30" wide and 8 feet long.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hap
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin
motohorseman

PostSubject: Re: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the post Hap, really good to have you here.

On my workbench, I used 12x12 self-adhesive floor tiles for the work surface. Easy to clean, look fairly good and not too hard to replace.

I'd probably prefer metal, but it works OK enough for me.

I'd love to see not only pictures of the completed bench, but of the engine/motorcycle build as well.

:bounce:
Back to top Go down
Hap Call

PostSubject: Re: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll do that Steve.

Hap
Back to top Go down
motohorseman
Admin
motohorseman

PostSubject: Re: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:56 am

Thanks Hap - and I have to ask, are you going to build a stock motor or are you going to pump it up a bit???
Back to top Go down
Hap Call

PostSubject: Re: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

This motor will be beefed up some. I'm sending the crank to Falicon to have it rebuilt, balanced and welded and will probably go with an 1229cc kit. They have kits up to 1428, 1500, and 1570 but they aren't very streetable. Haven't decided on the carbs....stay with the 33mm smoothbores or go with some flatslides. Cash flow will determine a lot of the work if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prep new shop for rebuild   Prep new shop for rebuild I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prep new shop for rebuild
Page 1 of 1